At Rosetrees Trust supporting researchers at the very start of their careers continues to be a focus of our research policy, giving students the opportunity to become future leaders in their fields.
For grant applications of PhD studentships commencing in Autumn 2017, we have two separate rounds with deadlines as detailed below:
Application deadline for stipends with a consumables allowance: Monday 31st October 2016 5 pm (applications accepted from 1st August 2016)
Application deadline for consumables only (where a stipend from a separate funding body has been awarded and only consumables are needed): Friday 31st March 2017 5 pm (applications accepted from 1st January 2017)
Stipend with Consumables applications: Grants are given for three years within the region of £5,000 to £17,500 pa for PhD stipends, and up to 7,000 pa for one to three years for consumables.
Consumables only applications: Applicants are advised to apply for up to £7,500 pa for one to three years.
Please note all applicants should have agreed with their Department / Institute that EU / UK tuition fees will be paid from in-house resources. Rosetrees Trust does not fund any tuition fees.
Please review the ‘Guidelines for Applicants’ document below prior to making a submission:
Making an Application
Please click on the link below to download an application form for either of the PhD rounds:
We ask you to complete the form as concisely as possible but with enough detail for us to understand what your research is about – this is best achieved by answering in simple lay terms.
Please submit your application by email to email@example.com, enclosing as separate attachments:
We promise to acknowledge all the applications we receive.
After each deadline, all suitable PhD applications received will be peer reviewed by a scientific committee who will rank each project based primarily on the following criteria:
1) Is this a focused, coherent, and feasible project which can be completed realistically within the time-frame of a PhD studentship?
2) Is the methodology to be employed appropriate, timely, and will it provide good quality data?
3) Is the outcome likely to advance knowledge and understanding of human disease and / or advance treatment possibilities?
We will aim to inform applicants within 4 months of the closing of each round.
1) Applications after the above deadlines will not be considered.
2) We will only consider a PhD project once in either the stipend with consumables, or the consumables only, round.
3) Rosetrees does not accept applications for PhD student projects that have already commenced. However we do accept applications from Clinical Fellows seeking to convert a 1-2 year Fellowship/MD into a full length PhD.
4) Studentships should begin in the forthcoming Autumn term / start of the academic year following the deadlines.
5) Any submission that is not eligible or the application document guidelines are not adhered to will not be considered.